With increasing gas prices, worsening traffic, and deteriorating environment, more and more people are looking for alternative transportation methods that will help get them where they need to go without giving up much of their comfort and convenience.
Electric bikes have become the popular choice in recent years, especially as the technology and materials for them advances and becomes more affordable. An electric bike is a worthwhile investment for its many benefits such as providing you with a reliable method of transportation while giving you your needed exercise and lessening the negative impact on the environment.
Additional benefits include low maintenance – for they require no more maintenance than a regular bike and low cost compared to cars and other electric alternatives.
With that being said, some electric bikes can still be costly, so we have prepared a short guide detailing some of the best electric bikes under $2000.
First on the list is the Civibikes Cheetah whose design makes it look like a café racer from the 70s. It features a durable 6061 aluminum alloy frame which makes it incredibly durable without adding to its overall weight. It has a 750-watt high-torque brushless motor that allows it to reach a top speed of 28 mph, making it the fastest electric bike on this list.
With its lightweight and long-lasting 48V 13Ah lithium battery, you can ride a 40-mile range on a single charge. Furthermore, the battery is placed in a special battery box that has a special switch and charging port underneath the cover, allowing the battery to blend seamlessly with its classic vintage look.
It has a big and comprehensive full-color LCD display which is where you can see and control the 5-level PAS and throttle-level choices: eco, normal, and sport. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about not seeing it under harsh sunlight for even under those conditions, the LCD display is clear.
Moreover, the Civibikes Cheetah electric bike has additional features such as:
- Shimano 7-speed gear set
- Tektro E350 hydraulic brakes
- All-terrain fat tires
- LED headlight with an individual switch
- 1-year warranty
Overall, the Civibikes Cheetah is a fast and heavy-duty electric bike which you can use not only on your daily commutes but also on different terrains, making it a great mountain bike as well. It’s also perfect for harsh weather conditions such as snow, on which regular bikes would have trouble navigating.
Additionally, its classic vintage look makes it look more like a motorcycle than an electric bike which will surely turn heads.
What We Liked about the Civibikes Cheetah
- It’s fast – Its high-powered motor allows it to reach speeds that are higher than your usual traditional or electric bikes.
- It works great on difficult terrain – It has fat tires which makes it easy to navigate on difficult terrain and harsh weather conditions, allowing you to use it in more places.
- It’s stylish – It has a classic head-turning look which will never go out of style.
What We Don’t Like about the Civibikes Cheetah
- The weight – At around 75 pounds, it’s the heaviest electric bike on the list.
- Saddle height – The saddle height is still too tall for some people despite adjustments, making it hard to reach the pedals.
Next is the Fold X, a folding electric bike from one of the best electric bike brands in the cycling world, Sondors. It has a durable handcrafted aluminum frame which weighs only 6 pounds, making it incredibly lightweight. Its 500W motor allows it to reach a top speed of 20 mph which isn’t the fastest but is still quick enough to get you where you need to go at a much faster rate than a regular bike.
It has a range of 40 – 60 miles (30 on full electric), made possible by its 48V 14Ah lithium-ion cylindrical battery which is also lightweight.
Like other electric bikes, it has an LCD screen where you can control the 5 levels of pedal assist, including your choice of torque. It also accurately displays the battery level, speed and distance traveled.
The Sondors Fold X also has some nice additional features like:
- Shimano 7-speed gear cassette with grip shifter
- High-performing, shock-absorbing suspension forks
- Adaptable all-terrain tires
Sondors is the largest electric bike designer and manufacturer in the US and they are known for creating high-quality and incredibly durable electric bikes, and the Fold X is no different. With its sturdy and stylish design combined with its incredible features, this foldable bike is a great value for your money.
What We Liked about the Sondors Fold X
- It’s lightweight – Weighing at only 50 pounds, it’s the lightest electric bike on the list.
- Versatile – Because of its fat all-terrain tires, the Fold X can be used in almost any situation.
- Single-speed – It’s easier to maneuver because it’s much simpler to handle.
What We Don’t Like about the Sondors Fold X
- Bulky design – The Fold X is bulkier compared to the newer models which can be a problem, seeing as it is a foldable bike.
Like the Fold X, this model from MZZK is also a foldable electric mountain bike with a sturdy 6061 aluminum alloy frame. It features a 48V 500-watt brushless geared motor which has a one-piece design and is IP68 waterproof that allows it to reach speeds of up to 25mph, surpassing that of the Fold X.
Furthermore, it has a removable 48V 13Ah lithium battery which gives it a range of 50 – 75 miles per a single full charge. The battery can be charged using its 48V 6.5A high-quality charger which gives it a full charge in 4 – 6 hours.
It gives you the choice of either pedal-assist or going full electric, both of which comes in 6 working speeds. This is controlled via the Shimano shift lever, allowing you to switch between speeds quickly and freely.
More features of the MZZK 20” Foldable Electric Mountain Bike are:
- Multi-function LCD display
- Fast Shimano derailleur
- Premium brake system
- Comfortable retro design seat
- Bright front light
- All-terrain, anti-skid tires
- 1-year warranty
The MZZK 20” Foldable Electric Mountain Bike is a great choice if you’re looking for a foldable electric bike with great features that won’t break the bank. Its great features coupled with its affordable price point makes it the best budget electric bike.
What We Liked about the MZZK
- Good maneuverability – Its all-terrain tires and assistance options make it incredibly easy to maneuver.
- Comfortable and smooth riding experience – All of its features make for a great riding experience.
- Affordable – Electric bikes can still be expensive, so its affordability makes it a great choice for those looking to save more without sacrificing quality.
- Compact – Its compact nature makes it easy to store, whether be it in your car or in your house.
What We Don’t Like about the MZZK
- Weight – For a foldable bike, it’s relatively heavier at 60 lbs.
An all-around hybrid electric bike, the Schwinn Sycamore features a dual-sport frame with SR Suntour NEX suspension fork whose design looks like your traditional bike, something that attracts less attention.
It also has a 350-watt hub-drive pedal-assist motor that allows it a maximum speed of 20 mph which isn’t that fast but is still speedy enough. Its removable lithium-ion battery gives it a range of 45 – 60 miles on a single full charge.
It has an LCD display which shows you the battery life, assistance level, and other basic computer features. This coupled with the thumbpad controller gives you complete control over your riding experience. It has 5 levels of pedal-assist, adding to your overall cycling experience.
However, the best part is the extra features of the Schwinn Sycamore:
- 8 traditional bike speeds (Shimano Alivo drivetrain with Shimano Altus trigger shifter)
- Front and rear alloy mechanical disk brakes
- Comfortable seat
- Ergonomic grips
- 2-year warranty on battery and electric assist parts
- Lifetime warranty on the frame and fork
The Schwinn Sycamore Electric Bike is the perfect choice for those who are looking for something that looks more like the traditional mountain bike.
What We Liked about the Schwinn Sycamore
- Slim and stylish design – The slim design of the Schwinn Sycamore makes it attractive to those who wish for something that looks more like your regular bike.
- Variety of sizes – The Sycamore model is available in different sizes, giving more options for different people.
- Comfortable and ergonomic – It’s designed with your utmost comfort in mind.
What We Don’t Like about the Schwinn Sycamore
- Less powerful motor – Compared to the previous ones, it has a less powerful motor.
The Story Electric Bike combines a classic frame with modern electric speed. It features a 350-watt motor, giving it a top speed of 20 mph which isn’t that fast but is good enough to bring you to where you need to be.
Its 7Ah hidden-from-view lithium-ion battery allows it to reach 45 miles on a single full charge. For those who need to juice up their phone on the go, the Story Electric Bike has a USB charging port that allows you to charge while on the road.
Additionally, it has 6 levels of pedal-assist, allowing you to choose either full manual or receive some electric assistance.
The Story Electric Bike has additional features which make it worthwhile:
- Shimano 7-speed gears
- Hydraulic disk brakes
- Leather grip and saddle
- LCD screen
Perhaps what’s most notable about this electric bike is that for every e-bike you purchase, the company behind it will donate 1 Buffalo bike to someone in Africa, done in partnership with the World Bicycle Relief.
What We Like about the Story Electric Bike
- Stylish classic look – Its classic frame coupled with the leather grip and saddle makes for an incredibly stylish bike, one you will be proud to show off.
- For a good cause – You don’t just get a bike, you get to give for a good cause as well!
- USB charging port – This is extremely convenient considering that we heavily depend on smartphones nowadays.
What We Don’t Like about the Story Electric Bike
- Less power – It doesn’t have a powerful enough motor which can affect its speed.
- Smaller battery capacity – Because the battery isn’t as big, it could mean more frequent charging.
The MZZK 700C Electric Bike has an aluminum alloy frame and features a powerful high-speed brushless geared motor that has a one-piece design and is IP68 waterproof, making it extremely durable. The powerful motor also allows it to reach a top speed of 26 mph, the second fastest on this list. It’s also designed to look like a regular bike which can be less distracting and attracts less attention from other people.
It also has a 48V 13Ah lithium battery which gives it a range of 34 – 45 miles on a single charge. Its multi-function handlebar allows you to shift gears for acceleration and control, giving you complete freedom over your riding experience.
It has a multi-function display that’s comfortable to look at and is used to switch among 6 kinds of assist.
Additional features of the MZZK 700C Electric Bike include:
- Extremely bright retro front light
- Incredibly strong aluminum alloy fork
- Front and rear double disk brake system
- Built-in high power string wave controller
- Shimano 7-speed gear
The 700C Electric Bike is another great choice from MZZK and is a more powerful but still lightweight option.
What We Liked about the MZZK 700C
- High speed – The motor, despite not being as powerful as the others, can produce a high speed of 26 mph which is only slightly less than the fastest one on this list.
- Classic retro design – The classic design of this bike makes it look like your traditional bike which is great for those who don’t want to attract that much attention.
- Lightweight – At 55 lbs, it’s extremely lightweight which makes it easier to maneuver.
- Durable and waterproof design – Its motor is designed to be durable and waterproof, making it last longer.
What We Don’t Like about the MZZK 700C
- The shorter range on a single charge – Despite its 48V 13Ah battery, it’s only capable of a shorter range compared to the others.
The Ecotric 26” Electric Bike has an aluminum alloy frame and features an extremely powerful 1000-watt motor that gives it a maximum speed of 25 mph which is surprising, considering the powerful motor.
It has a removable 48V 13Ah lithium battery that comes with a smart lithium charger and reflector. On flat ground, a single charge allows you to travel for more than 25 miles on pure electric power.
It allows for hybrid cycling, also giving you the option to choose between pedal-assist or walk assist.
It also has an S900 LED display panel which you can use to control the 5-speed cycle and the speed limit, even opting for cruise control. The display panel also has a 1 key repair function.
The Ecotric 26” Electric Bike also has some nice additional features like:
- Shimano external 7-speed gear
- Hydraulic disk brake
- Hydraulic front fork suspension
The most notable thing about this electric bike is its powerful 1000-watt motor which is great for those who are looking for a little more power.
What We Liked about the Ecotric
- Powerful motor – It has a 1000-watt motor which is incredible power for an electric bike.
- Hybrid cycling – This model gives you the freedom to choose the way you ride.
What We Don’t Like about the Ecotric
- Slower than expected – Given its powerful motor, one would expect that it would be faster than 25mph.
The Addmotor Hithot H5 Electric Bike features a 6061 aluminum alloy frame and a 500-watt rear-hub brushless motor which is perfect for use as a mountain and commuter bike. It has a removable 48V 12Ah lithium battery which, when combined with its powerful motor, allows users to reach a distance of 60 miles on pure electric bike operation.
It has variable speed control with ½ twist throttle which makes it easy to adjust assistance from your bike.
Further features include:
- High-suspension and spring absorber
- Powerful brakes
- Integrated tail light which also serves as a rear brake light
- Shimano 7-speed gears
- 1-year comprehensive warranty
- Labeled backlit LCD control panel
It has an affordable price point which is a steal, considering it’s a high-suspension bike.
What We Liked about the Addmotor Hithot
- High suspension – This allows you to conquer even the steepest trails, especially those found in the mountains.
- Affordable for a high-suspension bike – High-suspension bikes tend to be more expensive, and the price point for this one makes it more affordable than most.
What We Don’t Like about the Addmotor Hithot
- On the heavier side – It weighs at around 60 pounds which can be harder to maneuver for others.
|Model||Motor power||Battery||Top speed||Range||Weight||Foldable||Our rating||Price|
|Civibikes Cheetah||750W||48V 13 Ah||28mph||40 miles||60 lbs||No||(5 / 5)|
|Sondors Fold X||500W||48V 14 Ah||20mph||50 miles||50 lbs||Yes||(4.5 / 5)|
|MZZK 20”||500W||48V 13 Ah||25mph||50-75 miles||60 lbs||Yes||(4.5 / 5)|
|Schwinn Sycamore||350W||48V 14 Ah||20mph||45-60 miles||50 lbs||No||(4 / 5)|
|Story Electric Bike||350W||48V 7Ah||20mph||40 miles||52.3 lbs||No||(4 / 5)|
|MZZK 700C||750W||48V 13Ah||26mph||34-45 miles||55 lbs||No||(4.5 / 5)|
|Ecotric 26”||1000W||48V 13Ah||25mph||25 miles||60 lbs||No||(4.5 / 5)|
|Addmotor Hithot H5||500W||48V 12Ah||25mph||60 miles||60 lbs||No||(4.5 / 5)|
Our Top 3 Picks
For 3rd place, we chose 2 models because their specs are nearly the same, with the only difference being that one is foldable while the other isn’t. The MZZK 20” Electric Bike is our top pick for the best folding electric bike while the Addmotor Hithot H5 Electric Bike is the best electric mountain bike.
They’re both amazing electric bikes in the sense that they have powerful motors and long-lasting batteries. They also provide you with a high enough speed that will allow you to reach your destination faster.
However, the downside to both of them is that they’re heavier than your usual bikes. This is especially notable for the MZZK 20” Foldable Electric Mountain Bike for it is foldable and should be more lightweight.
We chose the MZZK 700C Electric Bike as our runner-up to the top spot for it features a powerful high-speed motor which is also waterproof, making it durable and less prone to damages caused by weather conditions.
Moreover, it’s lightweight and allows you to be in complete control of your riding experience.
Snagging the top spot is the Civibikes Cheetah whose powerful motor and incredible speed make it the best among those listed here. You get amazing features for your money which makes it the best value electric bike as well.
Its classic vintage design combines functionality with style, making it a showstopper. Furthermore, it’s meant to traverse on all kinds of terrain which makes it a versatile electric bike.
However, it’s the heaviest bike among the lot, so keep it in mind if ever you choose this one.
Electric bikes are among the best alternatives to motor vehicle, considering the current traffic, economic, and environmental state. With its continuously dropping prices and minimal maintenance, it gradually and effortlessly becomes the best substitute for driving, commuting, and even walking.
Additional to its balance of function and ease, it also caters the needs of those who ride their bikes for fitness or health reasons. An electric bike is transportation, convenience, and fitness combined; making it the most obvious choice when in search of an equally practical and handy alternative.